How do I use the Connect dashboard?
Watch this short video to find out how to control your online presence with Connect. Our easy to use dashboard allows you to:
- Update your business details across hundreds of relevant websites
- Read online reviews about your business and visit the review site to respond*
- Share reviews by posting on social media or by email
- Post to your social media profiles** and see any comments left in response
Alternatively download our step by step Connect How To guide
*Only available on the sites which have a response feature enabled.
**Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus and Foursquare if relevant
How do I update or add content to my Yell.com profile?
It’s important to make sure that your business details on Yell.com are kept up-to-date to ensure that new customers can find and contact you. What’s more business profiles with fully completed details get 5 times more views than those that aren’t.
Watch this short video to find out what type of content you can use to update and enhance your business profile on Yell.com and to find out how to add content to your Yell.com business profile.
Further information can also be found online at https://www.yell.com/help/editmybusiness/home.html.
What is the benefit of adding reviews to my Yell.com listing and how do I get started?
Customers use reviews to get uptodate feedback on your products and services. What's more the presence of reviews on your Yell.com listing can drive up to 4 times more visits to your listing†.
Read our ratings and reviews guide to find out why reviews are so important and how to grow your business with Yell.com reviews.
Why does Display Advertising work?
The key to any advertising campaign is finding and reaching the right audience for your business. For online advertising to work best, you need a network of websites large enough and diverse enough to include whatever audience you want to reach - our network of sites does just that.
You can precisely target your audience through geo-targeting location - locally, regionally or nationally. You can also refine this further by adding demographic requirements as well.
What is Display Advertising?
You want to put your business and your brand where your customers are most likely to see it. Traditional advertising would mean appearing on billboards, at bus stops, in magazines and on TV. When you want to promote your business online, you use display advertising. Read more about Display Advertising here.
What happens if I don't know the demographic profiles of my customers?
That's no problem. If you do know the profile of your typical customers it will help us to target your display ads at websites that they are most likely to be using. If you don't know the profile of your typical customers, we can still create an effective campaign for you using our experience.
Can I import my performance data into Microsoft Excel?
Unfortunately this functionality is not currently available.
How should I interpret my performance stats?
Real-time reporting is available under My Account. Reports will be broken down by day and summarized by ads viewed in a geographical area, clicks within a geographical area, ads viewed overall, ads clicked overall, as well as a breakdown for your banners performance.
Analytics: The numerical data that is gathered by taking the number of times a specific advertisement was placed on web pages and comparing that to the number of times it was clicked.
Ads Viewed: The number of times an ad was seen by visitors to the web site showing the advertisement. Each visitor to the site triggers a showing of an advertisement and the total number of showings of that ad are referred to as the "impressions" that ad received.
Clicks: An interaction with (click on) a display advertisement that results in that user visiting your web page.
Campaign/Promotion: A group of advertisements that is comprised of similar creative assets and set to run within a specified budget and a specified time frame. It can also encompass specific publisher sites and targeting methods to be used for that group of advertisements.
Click-through: Same as "click": a user interacts with an advertisement and "clicks through" to the advertiser's web page.
Conversion: A click-through to an advertiser's web site that results in a sale of that web site's product. Conversion, or making a sale, is the overall goal and measure of success of most advertising campaigns.
Conversion rate: The percentage of users clicking through to an advertiser's web site that result in a sale of that web site's product. If 1,000 users click through to a web site and 10 of those users buy that site's product, the conversion rate is 10/1000, or .01 (1%).
CPC (Cost Per Click): An advertising pricing model that charges the advertiser every time one of their ads is clicked on.
CPM (Cost Per 1,000 Impressions): A pricing model based on a cost for every 1,000 times an ad is shown on publishers' web sites (M is the Roman numeral for 1,000). This cost model is usually associated with branding campaigns that are more interested in visibility and exposure than in click rates.
CTR (Click-Through Rate): The percentage of internet users that click an advertisement after seeing it shown on a web page. If an advertisement is shown 1000 times and 20 users click on it, the CTR is 20/1000, or .02 (2%).
Click URL: The web page or landing page people will be directed to when they click on your ad.
Display URL: The web address that is shown on your display ad.
How can I make changes to my Display Advertising campaign?
To make changes to your display advertising campaign, log into your account with your username and password. Click on My Products, select Display Advertising to expand the view, and click on Manage Your Adverts. This will place you into your ad’s summary page where you can click on any of the blue 'Edit' links to change your creative, geographic targeting information, and any other ad details you initially set up.
To change your budget, click on the Update link. Adjust the slider to the desired price point, check the terms and conditions and update your cart.
How much does Display Advertising cost?
Each business's marketing goals differ, for example, you may be starting your business up in a new area, you have a lot of competition in your area or your promoting a new product or service. We tailor your Display budget to match your needs.
Your sales representative will help you to set the right amount of visibility for success.
How do you create my Display banner?
We use our technology to pull relevant images from your website to save you needing to send the original copies to us. This ensures your banner matches your branding exactly.
Once we have your content our technology then creates all the different size banners you need for Display advertising.
How does Display Advertising work?
Our Display banners provide an engaging, animated presence that consumers will want to interact with. We let people choose how they want to engage with your business, with web, social and click-to-call actions. We also create compelling mobile and Facebook banner ads so you can be sure you're reaching your potential customers.
We will then choose relevant websites for your business from our extensive network which includes both major UK brands and industry specific websites.
What are the five sizes of display adverts that are created?
The five sizes are:
- 728x90 (Leaderboard)
- 300x250 (MPU, Medium Rectangle)
- 320x50 (Mobile)
- 160x600 (Wide Skyscraper)
What is the difference between a destination url and a display url?
A destination url is the url that your display ads will link to. A display url is the url that you want to display on the ads themselves.
How do I know how well my Display Advertising campaign is performing?
We'll send out a monthly email with a link to your online report so you can see how well your campaign is reporting.
How do I start and stop my ad?
To stop your ad please call 0800 313 4991.
Can I control where my ads are shown?
We'll take care of this for you so there's nothing you need to do. We have access an extensive network of websites, so we'll choose the most relevant sites for your business.
All you need to do is tell us what location and type of potential customers you want to target. We'll do the rest!
What is the recommended number of characters for the Title and the Description?
The Title will comfortably accommodate between 25-35 characters. The exact number of characters varies depending on the use of UPPERCASE or lowercase and certain character such as 'W' and 'I'.
The Description can accommodate 46 characters. We recommend that it is not longer than it needs to be.
How long does it take for my display advertising campaign to go live?
Your Display advertising goes live after we have run through a check to make sure everything is as we expect. Typically your banner will be live within 24 hours.
I want to upgrade my website to an online store - is this possible?
Unfortunately, upgrading from your website to an online store isn’t supported right now. We are working on this, and this option will become available very soon.
Why is there no 'link' tab for my text box?
Only 'Standard' fonts support linking in text. If you don't have a 'link' tab in your editor when editing your text, it will be because you are using a 'Graphic' font. Try changing the font to a 'Standard' font to correct this.
What is IP pointing?
IP pointing is when you get your domain name provider to 'point' your domain name (your A-record) directly to your site by using the following DNS records:
- www record: Point as a CNAME entry to yell.multiscreensite.com
- Root or '@' record: Point as an A record to 22.214.171.124 (UK)
This is the best system to use, as search engines find it much easier to index sites that have been set up in this way. If you use 'masked forwarding' to set up your domain name, this can result in your site not being correctly indexed by search engines.
Once your domain name provider has updated your DNS records, you will need to add your domain name to the list of addresses associated with your site.
How do I upload a sitemap to my Website?
It is not necessary to upload a sitemap file to your Website, as our software generates and updates a sitemap for you automatically.
Most search engines will find this when they index your site, but it is occasionally necessary to submit it manually.
What is the Google AdSense ID?
This ID is provided by Google and identifies you and your sites. Once you have applied and been approved, Google will supply you with both your 'AdSense for Content' ID and your 'AdSense for Search' ID, unless you choose just one ID when making your application.
You can insert this ID (via a code block) through the 'Services' option on the toolbar. The AdSense ID comes in useful when you have installed Google Adverts on your site. Adverts are placed on your site and their usage i.e. click-throughs are monitored by Google. The more usage the adverts your site gets the more you earn.
N.B. The IP address of person clicking through the advert is logged, and if it matches yours then you risk your account being closed. Google see this as fraudulent and it breaks their terms and conditions.
Why do I need a domain name?
A domain name allows you to personalise your address on the internet.
It can be used for a website address, e.g. http://www.yourdomain.com - and as a domain for your email, e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can keep your domain name no matter where you host your website or your email.
How do I get back to my Website?
You and your visitors can get directly to your website by typing your domain name into your browser's address bar.
What software do I need to edit my Website?
- A computer running a minimum operating system of Windows XP or Mac OS X (10.5 and above).
- One of the following web browsers - Internet Explorer version 7 or above, Mozilla Firefox version 3.6 or above, Safari version 5.0 or above, or Google Chrome.
- Adobe Flash Player 10.0 version (for viewing sites), and Adobe Flash player 10.3 (for editing sites).
- Browser security set to 'Default'.
- Cookies enabled.
N.B. We do not recommend editing or viewing websites over dial-up internet connections. Using a broadband service ensures that access, uploading of files, and editing is much quicker. Visitors will have also a much richer experience - especially if you have large quantities of images or content on your site.
Can I change the template I have chosen for my Website Basic/Plus/Premium?
Yes, you can change the template you have chosen. Go into ‘My Account’, select ‘My Products’ and then select ‘My Websites’. At the bottom of this page select ‘Delete and start again’. This will take you to a new page for you to choose a new template. Once you have chosen your new template you will be reminded that changing your template means that all the copy, images, logos etc. that you have inputted so far will be deleted. You will need to start building your website from scratch at this point.
How do I let visitors download files from my site?
Adding a download link such as a PDF or a Word document to your site is quick and easy. All you need is an uploaded file in your library to link to. To add a download link follow the instructions below:
- While in Edit mode, go to the page where you want the download link to appear.
- Add a link to your page using a 'Link button' (Insert --> Button link), or add a text link (by highlighting the text you wish to turn into a link) or add it to an image.
- In the 'Links' tab in the SiteMaker Editor, select 'Link to a file' (folder icon), and this will launch the 'File Manager'.
- If you have already uploaded your file, it should be in one of the folders that appears in the 'File Manager'. Then go to point 9 below.
- If you haven't uploaded it yet, click the 'Upload' tab.
- Click 'Browse' to navigate to the folder on your PC where the file you want to upload is.
- You can choose to rename it before you upload it or just click 'Upload' to add it to your 'File Manager'.
- Once the upload is complete you can upload another file or select a file to link to.
- Select the file you wish to make available for downloading and click 'Use this' and 'Apply'.
- You can now position and scale the (Button) link object on the page and edit the text of the link in the SiteMaker Editor (for buttons), or in the text itself.
- Save your page, go to 'View my site' and test the link.
What kinds of video files can I upload?
You can upload any type of video file into your site. These will be stored in the 'Download Files' folder. They can be linked to (e.g. using a Button Link) and then downloaded by your visitors.
Videos downloaded by your visitors will normally auto play on their computer depending on what player they have installed e.g. Real Player, QuickTime, Windows Media Player.
You can also add a YouTube or Vimeo widget to your site and these will play videos directly on your website page.
Is there a limit to how many images I can put on one page?
You can have as many images on a page as you want. But it is ideal to keep their file size to under 250kb so the page doesn't take too long to load for your visitors. The bigger your images, the longer it takes to load the page, so if you have several big images then your visitors may experience slow page loads, and your bandwidth allowance will be affected.
I bought a domain from Yell, and I want to move it to another registrar. How does the transfer process work for global top level domains?
For help with this, please contact Customer Services:
- By phone: 0800 555 444 (9am to 5pm Monday to Friday)
- By email: email@example.com, or fill in our Contact Form
Why do images keep disappearing from my Website?
The most common reason for images to disappear from your website is that they have been deleted from the File Manager. When you upload images (or any files for that matter) they are saved in the File Manager as a source file.
You can access these source files from any page using the editor or toolbar to put, for example, images directly onto pages or in a gallery, or use as a background. You can delete or replace images on pages or in objects without affecting the source file. But the moment you delete the uploaded source file from the File Manager all references to that file on your site will be removed.
How do I access my website to edit it?
To access and update your website:
- Login in to your business account
- Click the Amend button against your website
- Once in the Amend function you can choose from the sidebar any of the options including Page Master, Body font, Background, Site alignment, Wallpaper and Icon
- These options will allow you to change virtually the whole site elements
- To change or edit or remove pages, simply use the Pages option on the toolbar then either add a page or organise the existing ones
How does Google AdSense differ from Google AdWords?
Google AdSense for Content is a means for you to earn money from your site by displaying relevant ads on your site. You can also combine this with Google AdSense for Search where you can place a Google Search bar on your site. Both are easy to set up on your website using our software, and both will allow you to earn money directly from Google.
AdWords is a service you pay Google for to advertise your website, business or company on Google search results pages. If you want to advertise your business using AdWords you will need to contact Google directly.
How do I transfer my .uk domain to another service provider?
For help with this, please contact Customer Services:
- By phone: 0800 555 444 (9am to 5pm Monday to Friday)
- By email: firstname.lastname@example.org, or fill in our Contact Form
What kinds of links can I add to my Website?
We currently have seven different types of link available to add to your Website (availability depends on the package or tier you have purchased). They are:
Webpage - this is a link to any webpage or website address on the internet. Select this option, then enter the address in the box provided. A tick box allows you to specify whether the link should open in a new tab or window.
Email link - this allows you to create a link to an email address, so your visitors can email you. Simply fill in your email address in the box provided and click apply.
Download link - this allows you to create a link to a file on your site so that your visitors can download it. These files, which you need to upload to your website via the File Manager, can be images, graphics, MP3, movie files, PDFs or Word documents. Click on 'Browse' to select your file, and then click 'Apply' to confirm.
Page in your site - this allows you to link to another page within your site. Select the page from the drop down list and click 'Apply' to confirm.
How do I crop images for my Website?
The easiest way to crop an image is to use our 'Shape' widget, which you'll find on the 'Insert' menu.
When you have selected the widget, click the Style tab and choose Image fill from the top menu, then click on Browse. The File Manager will open so that you can choose your desired image.
You can drag the image within the shape itself to set the position, and use the arrow tool to change the angle and level of zoom.
What is a domain name transfer?
A transfer is a change of registrar. This is not to be confused with a change of owner or a change of web host. The registrar is the company who manages your domain record with the domain registry on your behalf.
What do I need to provide you with to build my new website?
- Please supply us with any images you'd like to include in your website, such as your own logos or branding materials, as well as those of any other partners or organisations you'd like to make reference to (please make sure you have permission for any third party images you'd like on your website)
- Any marketing materials or plans to help communicate the goals you have for your site.
- Your Google Analytics account information, if you have an account
- Basic information about your business, such as contact details, hours of operation, slogans, licences, certifications, accreditations, and social media links such as Facebook, and Twitter.
- Any thoughts you have on the best structure for your website
Why do I see an error message when trying to upload files?
If the software is unable to complete an upload, it will usually return an error, accompanied with a number. These are the most common.
This has several potential causes:
- First of all, it is worth clearing your browser's cache or temporary internet files, as this can often fix it.
- If this doesn't work, you should ensure that your anti-virus or firewall software has not restricted access to the Internet for your browser, or Flash Player.
- If you are on a network, you should verify that you are not using a proxy server to connect to the Internet.
- This error is shown when the image you are uploading is too large. Images should not have a file size of more than 4MB, or a resolution of more than 24 megapixels. Ideally keep them below 250kb.
- This error is often caused when you are trying to upload JPEG images from a digital camera or phone - these devices can sometimes store information in the JPEG headers that our software can't understand.
- The fix is simple - if you open the image in an imaging application and re-save it, new headers are generated that should upload without error.
How do I find out my Flash or browser version?
There are a number of ways to check your Flash Player version if you need to know whether or not you have the most up-to-date version:
- Visit - http://www.adobe.com/uk/software/flash/about/ to check which version you have and whether you need to upgrade.
Who will be building my website for me?
Your website will be built by a designer from Yell. Our designers are experts at creating professional-looking websites that are mobile and search engine optimised to help you achieve your online marketing goals.
How do I add a Vimeo video to my site?
You can do this by the following steps:
- On the video in Vimeo, click 'Share'
- Next to Embed click "show options"
- Configure the code how you want it to display
- Copy the code
- In SiteMaker add an HTML snippet on the desired page
- Paste the code from Vimeo in the set up tab and click 'yes' if prompted to change the widget size
Why does widget content on websites publish in an iframe?
We deliberately don't publish the content of the HTML Snippet Widget straight into the HTML.
What is an IP address?
Internet Protocol (IP) is a system of communication that allows machines that are networked together to exchange information between them. In order for a computer to know where to find another computer on the network, it must know what its number (IP address) is.
A domain name allows you to associate words (easier to remember) to an IP address. The worldwide system of domain names is really like a giant telephone book.
When I buy a Website or Online Store can I choose which domain name I want?
Yes, you can select the domain name you want as part of our Website or Online Store offering.
Why is accessibility important?
Accessibility is important to ensure everyone can use the Internet. Some people find it difficult to interact with computers. They may have sight or hearing problems, a physical or learning disability, or just be inexperienced or afraid of the technology. Building a website that is not accessible to everyone is like building a shop without a door. There may be plenty inside, but there's no way to get in.
How many files can I upload?
Every file that you upload will count towards your storage limit. You can upload as many files as you like until you reach this disk space limit. Different packages have difference disk space limits, so check your 'Admin' --> 'Statistics' section to see how much space you have used in total and how much is left unused. Once you reach your limit, you will not be able to upload any further files and will have to delete some in order to free up space, or upgrade to a package with a higher disk space limit.
If you want to use files containing content you didn't create yourself, make sure you have the owner's permission beforehand.
How do I add a video player to my site?
- Navigate to the page where you want the video to appear and then ensure you are in 'edit' mode.
- Click 'Insert' on the Toolbar, select 'Audio/Video' from in the Sidebar, and finally click on 'Video player'.
- Position the video player on your page. If you wish to resize it, use the grab handles on the side or use the use the fields on the 'Info' tab in the Editor to position and scale the player precisely where you want it.
- Select the 'Setup' tab on the Editor, and then choose whether you wish to add your own uploaded FLV (Flash video) to your player or link through to a video on either Google Video, YouTube, MySpace or Kewego.
- For more control you can use the options on the 'Style' tab to colour the controls and background as well as lock the aspect ratio, turn on "Auto play" and hide the controls.
What image tools are available?
The 'image gallery' is good for displaying lots of images in small form, which can then be viewed at full size by clicking on the thumbnail. From here you can crop and manupulate images by inserting a shape and filling it with an image. When you have done this you will be provided with an arrow tool to move the image.You can also apply a 'pop up' to an individual image if you wish.
What is an FLV file?
FLV or Flash Video is a format that can be played by the Adobe Flash Player. This format is used extensively by sites such as YouTube, Google Video and MySpace. As most web browsers now support Adobe Flash Player (also known as Macromedia Flash Player) this provides a universal means to display video over the Internet.
Some FLVs created with a later version of Flash may fail to play correctly. If an FLV fails to play in your Flash Player 8 then we recommend upgrading to the latest version of Flash Player. To do this, go to Adobe's website and look for 'Get Adobe Flash Player'.
What are cookies?
Cookies are small text files that are placed by a website on a visitor's computer, which is then readable by that website at a later point in time.
They are not programs, they are not by themselves malicious and they can be very helpful. They are mainly used to help recall something about the user, their visit and their preferences, and are very common to most websites. For example they are used to remember usernames/passwords on many websites, preferences for country location or language, and they are critical for wishlists and shopping baskets when using an eCommerce site.
They are often used for analytics, i.e. to monitor visitor behaviour while on a website. This means that website owners can check which pages are the most popular, which get visited first, how a visitor navigates a site, how long they visit and more. This is generally used to improve site design but can be used for marketing by the website owner.
Cookies can also be used by advertising and marketing companies to track your visits, what adverts you see and whether you click any adverts, but also to offer targeted marketing, that is adverts which are more relevant to you.
The most common types of cookies are:
- Session cookies - Often used for 'Shopping Cart' and to remember which pages you visited, or for when you use the 'Back' button. Once you close your browser or log out, the cookie will expire and be deleted.
- Persistent cookies - Can be used to store information or settings about you to improve your experience on a website. For example, "Remember me" cookies which store your username and password when you visit a site. This is not used to identify you: only to make logging into a website faster and more convenient. They can also be used for wishlists on e-Commerce websites like Amazon.
- Third Party cookies - These are cookies placed by another website or service i.e. it has a different address to the one you see in your browser's address bar: in other words a third-party. Examples include cookies created by Google's services (Google Analytics, Google AdSense) and those created by advertisements served from a different website (which is very common). N.B. All modern browsers provide a setting that allows a user to block third-party cookies.
How many images can I upload?
Every image that you upload will count towards your storage limit. You can upload as many files as you like until you reach this limit. Different packages have different disk space limits, so check your Statistics section ('Admin' --> 'Statistics') to see how much of your storage quota is unused. Once you have reached your limit, you will not be able to upload any further files, and will have to delete some in order to free up space. Alternatively, you can upgrade to a package with a higher storage limit.
You can compress some image types to make them much smaller and still keep the visual quality of the image at a high standard. JPEGs are good for this. Make sure that before you upload your image, you make it a good physical size (think how big it should appear on the screen), and compress it around 70%, which will reduce the file size.
If you are uploading SWFs, please ensure that they conform to our requirements (e.g. frame rate, relative paths, export version etc.) - otherwise they may not load properly, may not work correctly, and could affect access to your site.
If you want to use images you didn't create yourself, make sure you have the owner's permission beforehand.
Can I import my performance data into Microsoft Excel?
There is a download option available with Google Analytics. For details, please visit the Google Analytics website.
How do I set up Google Analytics on my Website?
Google Analytics is a free service that allows you to track and monitor activity on your site. You can sign up with Google who will give you a unique ID to attach to your site which will track user activity. From this you can see which are your most popular pages and how frequently people return, which sites your website was referred from, and more. There is a huge amount of very useful information available especially if you run campaigns or promotions.
To set up Google Analytics you can click on the Admin panel, select the Statistics tab or use the Services icon on the toolbar and then the Setup button beside Google Analytics in the Sidebar. Once the Admin panel is open:
- Click on the 'Sign up for Google Analytics' button, which will open a new panel (Google Analytics) and then use the Get your Google ID button.
- You will then be taken to Google's own Analytics page where you can sign in to your Google Account (or register for one).
- Sign up for Google Analytics (or sign in) - this will ask for your URL (website address), account name (something appropriate), and your time zone. (N.B. This is another good reason to ensure that your domain name, if you have one, is set up to point to your website as this will ensure your statistics are more reliable.)
- Then, after providing your name, you'll have to accept Google's terms and conditions.
- You will then be presented with a code block containing your Google Analytics ID which you need to copy to your clipboard.
- Almost there! Go back to the Admin panel on your site (it should be still open in another window or tab) and paste the code block into the spacious ID field on the Analytics panel.
- Click OK to save and then just be patient while Google begins to collect data about your site and your visitors.
Depending on how popular your website is, your stats may take a few hours to start collecting data, or it may take several days. There is a lot of detail and data - but the key stats for most users will be:
- Daily visitors (how many visitors and what percentage are new)
- Visits and Page View Tracking (the number of visits which is distinct from your visitors)
- Content Drilldown (the popularity of each page on your site)
Google's Help section is extensive, so spend some time understanding the stats and you'll have the basis for some very useful information. They provide good graphing for the visually inclined, plus they offer good options for printing and saving to various formats on your computer.
Please note that whilst we make it easy for you to incorporate this tool into your website, it is provided to you by Google. You will need to read and accept Google's terms and conditions which will govern its operation. We accept no responsibility for performance or non-performance of these tools.
Why are Site Name and Site Description important?
'Site name', 'Site description' and 'Site keywords' are important as they are used by search engines to index your site. Make sure your site title, description and keywords match the content and objective of your site.
Try focusing on a few keywords/themes/phrases, e.g. 10-15. Too many keywords can cause a lower listing on many search engines while a smaller range of more targeted words can result in a higher listing on many search engines.
N.B.: Repeating the same words repeatedly in your keywords or description can be seen as 'spamming' by the search engines and result in your site be blocked from their indexing; i.e. it will not be found in any search.
How do I adjust the position of objects on my page?
To adjust the position of an object on your page, click on the object with a single mouse click. You can then drag the object using your mouse, or use the arrow keys on your keyboard to nudge it around the screen.
How do I add a blog to my site?
To create a blog you need to add an HTML widget, create the blog in a third party blog provider and copy the code to the widget.
What kinds of files can I upload?
You can upload any type of file to your site. However, they may be used in different ways depending on what type of file it is.
Image files (JPEGs, GIFs, and SWFs) can be used directly on your page and will be stored in the 'Images' folder of the 'My Files' section of the File Manager.
Audio files (MP3s) can be used in our jukebox tools, or as links to allow users to download them, and will be stored in the 'Your Audio' folder of the 'My Files' section of the File Manager.
Video files (FLVs) can be played in the video widget and uploaded files will be stored in the 'Your Video' folder within the 'My Files' section of the file manager. FLV (Flash) files can be converted from other forms of video (WMV, AVI etc.) using various converters available on the web.
All other file types will be stored in the 'Download Files' section and can be used to create links on your site so that visitors can download these files.
Why can't I find a link in my account profile page to access my performance stats?
Your performance stats are measured with Google Analytics. Please refer to the FAQ "How do I access my performance stats?" for details of how to configure Websites with Google Analytics and view your stats.
How do I upload a video to my site?
You can do this by the following steps:
- Open the 'File Manager' (the 'folder' icon)
- Select the 'Upload' button and then click 'Start upload'
- The Upload window/panel will open
- Click 'Browse' to navigate to the file you want to upload from your computer (just highlight the file and click 'Open')
- You can rename your video file if that makes it easier to manage before you upload it. Or just select the 'Upload' button to continue
- When you see 'Congratulations!', the upload has completed and you can upload another video file or close the upload window
- When you return to the 'File Manager', click 'Finish', and you will be see all your file folders which are contained within the 'Your Files' tab. You can browse the 'Your Videos' folder for your uploaded file(s). Select the file and click 'Use this'.
How do I add a Google Calendar to my site?
You can add a Google Calendar to your site in two steps:
1. Prepare your calendar
- In the Google Calendar app, select the calendar you want to embed under 'My calendars' and click on 'Share this Calendar'
- Tick 'Make this calendar public'
- Go to the 'Calendar Details' tab
- Copy the code in the 'Embed This Calendar' section. If you like, you can edit the appearance of the calendar using the link just above it, and then copy the HTML from the box at the top of the page
2. Add the calendar to your site
- Click on Insert -> HTML Snippet
- Position the widget (you can always change this later)
- Click on the 'Setup' tab, and paste the HTML into the input area
- Click 'Apply'. The widget will ask you if you want to resize, click: 'Yes'
- 'Save' the page
Unfortunately, Google don't currently allow just anyone to add events directly to the Calendar. If you want to use the calendar for bookings, you may want to add a Form widget to the page to capture the booking information. Or you could try Booking Bug which also provides HTML you can embed into the HTML Snippet Widget.
I already own a domain name - how can I use it with my site?
If you already own a domain name and want to use it with your site then please follow the instructions below:
Firstly, ask your domain name provider (or Registrar) to make the following DNS changes:
- www record (e.g. www.mydomain.com): point as a CNAME entry to cdn-mf.yellhosting.com.
- Root or '@' record (e.g. mydomain.com without the www): point as an A record to 126.96.36.199 (UK)
The next step is something you can do - adding your domain name to your site. Click 'Edit my site' to ensure you are in edit mode. On the Toolbar select 'Admin' --> 'Site address', then enter the domain name in the text field provided and click 'Add'. Don't forget to add both your root domain (without the www) and your sub-domain (with the www).
This change can take up to 72 hours to take effect.
We do not recommend using URL forwarding as search engines will not index your site successfully and it will impact some features e.g. SEO.
N.B. Your domain name provider should permit you to change your DNS A and CNAME records. You do NOT need to change your Name Servers. This operation may incur a charge by your current provider.
If hibu is your domain name provider you can get the CNAME and A record changed by us. For help with this, please contact Customer Services:
- By phone: 0800 555 444 (9am to 5pm Monday to Frdiay)
- By email: email@example.com, or complete our Contact Form
Can I search my own site?
Yes, if you use the Google search widget you can set this so that it either uses search 'the web' or 'this site'.
Remember Google will only base search results for your site on the most recent version of the site that it has indexed. So if you have just added some new pages (or a new site) this won't be picked up by Google immediately.
Can I edit my sites offline?
Because we offer a service based totally online, you have to be online to edit your site. We don't have any plans for an offline editor, as one of the principles of our service is no downloads, installs or upgrades of the software to your PC.
Uploading and downloading of your own files is possible. Our software is updated at the back-end on our web servers - all you need is current version of Adobe Flash and an up-to-date web browser.
Another of our principles is real-time editing, instead of edit, preview and publish - which is what you would have to do with an offline editor. As soon as you click 'Save' after editing your changes and updates are live on the web.
How do I let visitors download videos from my site?
- Go to the page where you want the download link to appear and make sure you are in edit mode.
- Add a link to your page using 'Insert' --> 'Link Button' button, or by adding a link to your text or on an image.
- Within the Editor box locate the 'Link' tab and select 'Link to your file' (folder icon). Clicking 'Browse' will launch the 'File Manager'.
- If you have already uploaded your video file it will be in one of the folders that appear in the 'File Manager'.
- FLV (Flash Video) files will be located in the 'Your Videos' folder while videos in all other formats can be found in the 'Files for Download' folder.
- Navigate to the correct file, select the file and then click 'Use this'.
- Lastly, click the 'Apply' button, before deciding on your final position for the link.
- You can now position and scale the link object on the page and edit the text within the link using the Editor (for buttons) or in the text itself.
N.B. The ability to download files is only available to paid subscribers. Free trial products do not offer this option.
How do I edit my page meta tags?
Updating the keywords and description field on each page will create the appropriate meta tags for the individual pages on your site (in HTML) which will ensure each of the pages on your site are indexed by search engines. The more pages you have indexed (they must be different) the greater the chance you have of your site being found in searches.
To edit your page meta tags:
- Log in into your site and make sure you are on the Home page
- Go to the toolbar and click 'Pages'
- On the sidebar click on the 'Metadata' section
- In the panel you can add, edit and remove the page title, keywords and description
- Click 'Apply'
- Go to the top of the sidebar, and from the drop down choose the next page on your site
- Repeat the process above and do your best to ensure your Metadata relates to your page content
- Work through your site until complete
Can I add video to my site?
Yes, any video from youtube or vimeo.
I see a Shop button in my website toolbar - can I create a shop?
Yes you can create a shop on your site with 10 products and a maxium of 2 categories, if you would like to include more products or for Yell to set this up for you then you will need to purchase a Store add on.
How do I add a Google Map to my site?
Adding maps to your site is very simple. First things first: add the HTML Snippet Widget to a page on your site. If you aren't sure please see our FAQ on how to add the HTML Snippet Widget to your site.
- Visit the Google maps website
- In search bar insert your address or location and search until your map and location appear
- Click the 'Link' icon on top right (beside Email and Print icons)
- Go to the the 2nd field titled: 'Paste HTML to embed in website' box
- Click the code to highlight it and then copy it (it should start with: "iframe width="...)
- Go to the page with your HTML Snippet Widget on it and then paste the code into the blank field on the "Setup" tab and click "Apply".
- Usually Google Map code comes with width and height dimensions and the widget will ask you to accept these dimensions. Accept by clicking "Yes"
- Save your page and your map is ready to view.
Just remember that you can use either the browser's Edit > Copy and Edit > Paste tools to copy and paste the code from Google to your HTML Snippet Widget, or you can use the keyboard shortcuts of Ctrl + C (copy) and then Ctrl + V (paste).
Why doesn't my site load?
Most problems with sites not loading correctly are resolved by clearing your temporary internet files - the "cache" - and making sure that you are using the latest version of the software.
If you still have problems, look to see if you have recently installed any new software that may be interfering with your browser, especially any anti-virus or anti-adware software. If so, uninstall or disable it and try to visit your site again.
Having the latest version of Adobe's Flash Player also helps.
Lastly, if you are using a domain name that isn't hosted with us then you may wish to consider setting up your domain to take advantage of the CDN (Content Delivery Network) we use to improve website loading around the globe.
Why do I get an error when I upload my MP3?
First, please make sure that the file has '.mp3' at the end of the name, and if the name is very long make it shorter (e.g. by getting rid of the spaces).
If that still doesn't work, your MP3 is probably missing the headers needed by our converter to recognise the correct format. Try checking the options in the program you used to create the MP3 to make sure it is set to create header tags. We recommend using MusicMatch which we know creates these correctly.
Why does my site jump when changing pages?
If your website moves left or right when you change pages, look for the scroll bar which appears down the right hand side of the web browser on the longer pages.
This scroll bar appears for longer pages when the browser detects that your web page is longer than the browser window. This is to help visitors scroll down your page and appears automatically. When it appears it pushes your website to the left to make room for it. If there is no scroll bar in the browser then your page is short enough to fit completely within the browser window.
So how do you fix this? Well, you can't remove the scroll bar for longer pages but you can make your shorter pages long enough so that the scroll bar appears on every page. This would mean that visitors would not see your pages jumping left or right to accommodate the appearance or disappearance of the browser scroll bar.
You can edit page length by:
- Using the Pages menu on the toolbar
- Selecting each page using the Pages drop down
- Changing the page length on the sidebar
- Clicking 'Apply'
N.B. Just remember that there are a lot of different sized monitors in circulation so some customers may still see a jump when changing pages unless all pages on your site are the same length.
Can I moderate the posts on my Website blog?
Yes you can. Go to Settings on your Website blog section and check the 'Yes' option for 'Comment Moderation'. This will allow you to approve each reply - then, and only then, will it be published.
This applies universally to all of your posts, and cannot be turned off or on solely for individual posts or articles.
If you want to review your replies, simply go to the 'Comment List' and then approve or delete the comment. Once a comment has been approved it will appear against the post in the post list in the comments column.
How do I change the names of my website pages in the menu?
You can change the names of your pages, add pages and organise them using the 'Pages' panel. To launch this panel, click 'Pages' --> 'Organise your pages' in the Toolbar.
To edit the names of your pages, click in the text box with the current name, and edit/delete the text.
To change the order of your pages, click and drag the 'drag' handle and move the page to the desired position.
To make a page a sub-page of another page, click on the 'indent' arrow to the right of the page number. You should then see an indent symbol to show the page has become a sub-page.
Can I buy more than one domain name?
No this is not currently possible.
How do I edit my site meta tags?
Updating the site-wide keywords and description field will create the appropriate meta tags for your site (in HTML) which will ensure your site is indexed by search engines, making it easier to find in searches.
While we recommend that you add specific metadata to each page, you can simply update the site-wide metadata which will be published across all pages.
To edit your site meta tags:
- Log in into your site
- On the toolbar click the 'Admin' icon
- On the sidebar use the 'Site Information' link to open up the Admin panel
- You can now edit the Site Name, Keywords and Description
- Click 'Apply'
What is a domain name?
A domain name is an alpha-numeric Internet address, formed by the name that you have chosen, and a TLD (Top Level Domain).
A domain name is most often used to name a website (such as www.example.com) or an email address (firstname.lastname@example.org).
In these examples, 'example.com' is the domain name; 'example' the name you have chosen, and 'com' the TLD.
How do I delete my site?
Deleting your site is the same as cancelling - simply contact Customer Services:
- By phone: 0800 555 444 (9am to 5pm Monday to Friday)
- By email: email@example.com or complete our Contact Form
- Online: https://business.yell.com/contact-us
- Or send a letter to us:
- hibu (UK) Limited
- Customer Service
- One Reading Central
- Forbury Road
- RG1 3YL
What can I do if my domain name is taken?
The domain name system has been around for many years, so many of the popular words or phrases have already been taken in the most popular extensions (e.g. .com or.co.uk). When you do a search we will show you which extensions (or TLDs) your domain name has available: e.g. it might not be available as a .com, though you could buy it as a .eu.
If you are still unhappy with the selection, you can look for an alternative.
What is a Top Level Domain (TLD)?
A TLD is the final part of the domain name, i.e. the part that comes after the dot. "Top Level Domain" refers to the Internet zone in which your domain name is located. It is also known as the 'extension'.
There are several TLDs:
- Generic types are called gTLDs, such as .com .net .org .biz .info .name etc.
- National (one per country). These are called ccTLDs ('country code TLD'). Examples are .uk for United Kingdom, .fr for France, .be for Belgium, etc.
- For each TLD, a worldwide database guarantees that each domain name is the only one in the world. The organisation that manages this database is called a registry. Each TLD is created and regulated by a trustee authority.
- Changes in the database (creation, deletion, and/or modification of domain names) are made through registrars (such as Gandi), who are accredited by the trustee authorities and registries of the TLD.
Why is the "/_app" folder showing up in Google?
We apply a standard (recommended) robots.txt file to our sites - for example, mysite.com/robots.txt.
The content of the robots.txt file requests that bots (search engine robots that explore and read each website) ignore two of our directories: the "_app" and "cgi-bin" directories.
Specifically, the robots.txt file contains the following instructions:
- User-agent: *
- Disallow: /_app/
- Disallow: /cgi-bin/
In our experience this does not negatively impact SEO, even though you may get some advisory warnings from Google (who themselves will suggest that this may not be an issue). But generally this situation does correct itself in a short period of time.
How do I add the HTML Snippet Widget to a page?
Adding the HTML Snippet Widget to your hibu Website is very easy. Go to the page you wish to add it to and then use the following steps:
- Click on Insert (toolbar) -> HTML Snippet (sidebar)
- Position the widget (you can always move it later)
- Click on the 'Setup' tab
- If you have a snippet of code already, simply paste the HTML code into the blank field (or come back once you've copied it to your clipboard)
- Click 'Apply'
- If dimensions are supplied within the code the widget will ask you if you want to resize using the given dimensions - click: 'Yes'
- 'Save' the page
N.B. Just remember that you can use either the browser's Edit > Copy and Edit > Paste tools to copy and paste the code from the host site to your HTML Snippet Widget, or you can use the keyboard shortcuts of Ctrl + C (copy) and then Ctrl + V (paste).
You can even use the 'Context menu' on your mouse by right clicking and using the copy and paste options provided in the menu to copy and paste code to your HTML Snippet Widget.
Why can't I download MP3s from my site properly?
Unfortunately, the problem arises because of the way Internet Explorer handles files when they are sent with .MP3 at the end of the file. There are two workarounds:
- Use Winzip to make a ZIP file of your MP3 - then your browser will ask you if you want to save every time you download. However, your users will need an archiving program like Winzip to extract the file once downloaded.
- Change your PC settings. Go to 'My Computer' --> 'Tools' --> 'Folder Options' then go to the 'File Types' tab and find MP3. Click it, then click 'Advanced' and choose 'Confirm open after download'. That should then prompt the user whether they want to download the file or save it.
The first option will work for everyone, the second requires asking your users to change their computer settings - and unfortunately, media players such as QuickTime and Real player can complicate matters as they can sometimes bypass these settings and try to play the MP3 before it gets a chance to be saved.
Why can't I add downloadable content to my site?
Downloadable content is only available to paid users. It is not offered as part of the product trial.
How to verify your site with Google Webmaster Tools
Verifying your site with Google Webmaster Tools is easy. Here are the steps to follow:
- Open your Google Webmaster Tools account
- Click on 'Add a site' and enter your site address
- Click on 'Alternate methods'
- Now click on 'Add a meta tag to your site's home page
- Copy the code (meta tag) that Google has generated
- Login to your site and click on 'Services'->'Webmaster Tools'
- Paste the code into the space provided
- Go back to your Webmaster Tools account and click on 'Verify'
What is Google AdSense?
Google AdSense for Content is an easy way for website owners to display relevant Google ads on their website and earn money. The ads are targeted to your site and its content which means your visitors will see related ads.
If you change your content regularly or you have multiple sites with different content, Google AdSense will understand this and only serve ads that relate to the content of your site or pages - although it may take several weeks for Google to index your site and its content.
You can also earn money when you add a Google search box to your site. When your visitors perform a search, Google AdSense for Search delivers text ads on the results pages which are targeted to your visitors' search.
I bought a domain elsewhere. How can I transfer domain management to hibu?
Unfortunately we do not support this. A domain bought elsewhere cannot be transferred to hibu registration.
How many video files can I upload?
Every file that you upload will count towards your disk space limit. You can upload as many files as you like until you reach this disk space limit. Each package has a different disk space limit which is easy to check.
Go to the toolbar and use 'Admin' --> 'Statistics' to see how much space you have used in total and how much you have left. Once you reach your limit you will not be able to upload any further files unless you delete some existing files to free up space in your account. Or you could upgrade to a package with a higher disk space limit.
Alternatively, you could upload your videos to one of many sites that host videos such as YouTube, Google Video, MySpace or Kewego. You can then link to this external video from a video player on your site and keep your disc space quota intact.
Is it possible to reserve a domain name before I buy it?
No. The way the industry works dictates that its not possible to reserve a domain name in advance of purchase.
What do I do if someone has hacked my website?
In our experience the most common explanations for hacking are:
- The site leader has either intentionally or mistakenly given out their username/password
- The site leader has mistakenly given edit permissions on their pages
- The site leader has not explicitly logged out of their site when using a shared computer
If you think your password has been compromised you should change your password immediately.
What can 'Admin' users see/edit?
Admin permissions allow a member of your site to have full access to all of the edit features as if they were the owner of the site.
This means that they can see the Toolbar and Editor on every page, as well as access 'Design', 'Pages', 'People' and other sections of the website editor. Admin features are very powerful and should only be given to people you trust to help you run the site.
Admins may not access account settings, e.g. Payment settings. They are also forbidden to update the 'Site address' panel to change the website address, but these are the only exceptions.
How can I tell how much space I have used for my websites?
Go to your site, click 'Edit my site' to ensure you are in edit mode. In the Toolbar, select:
'Admin' --> 'Statistics' and you will see a pie chart of the disk usage for your current site, and each of your additional sites, if you have them.
How do I add a YouTube video to my website?
It is possible to embed a YouTube video into your Website using the HTML Snippet widget.
Simply follow these steps:
- On the YouTube video page, click 'Share' and then 'Embed'
- Tick the 'Use old embed code' box underneath the code
- Choose the desired player size
- Copy the code
- Add an HTML Snippet widget to the desired page
- Paste the code into the Setup tab, and click 'Yes' when prompted to change the widget size
It is possible to configure additional options that govern how the video plays, using the settings on this page.
If you want to use a video you didn't create yourself, make sure you have the owner's permission beforehand.
I've set up Google AdSense, so why aren't the ads relevant to my site?
It may take several weeks before Google spiders or indexes your site. The spiders will look at your site name, the Metadata (Site Keywords and Site Description), the content on your site and the links to and from your site.
To improve the speed and accuracy of the indexing, and to help your site ranking in searches, you may wish to make sure that all content is relevant, the links aren't broken, the Metadata (or meta tags) are appropriate (and not excessively repeated), and that you have registered your website URL (website address) with Google.
Account and Billing
How do I log in to my account?
Visit our Account Login page to access your account details.
If you are having issues accessing you account please see our Registration and login help page
How do I view my bill/invoice?
You can view your bill/invoice online at service.yell.com. Go to the 'Accounts & billing' drop-down, then click on 'Invoices' in the sub-menu that appears below. Here you can search for and view all your invoices - and select and print the one you want.
My business is VAT exempt. What do I need to do?
Go to your account online at service.yell.com. Select "Payment Schedule" in the "Accounts & Billing" drop-down. At the bottom of the page you'll find a link to our VAT exemption form. Simply fill it in and we'll do the rest.
What is a Direct Debit Guarantee?
It's a scheme, offered by all banks and building societies that accept Direct Debits, designed to protect you in the unlikely event that something goes wrong. It also covers dealing with changes and cancellations. If you would like to know more about this, go to bacs.co.uk.
How do I get a VAT invoice?
You can obtain a copy online at service.yell.com. On your home page click on 'Invoices' in the right hand side of the page.
How can I check you have received my payment?
If you would like to confirm receipt of your payment you can check online at service.yell.com, by clicking on "Accounts & Billing". Check the "Summary of account activity" section, which will show you an up-to-date view of your payments.
What date in each month will my Direct Debit payments be taken?
Your Direct Debit payments will be taken monthly on the same day. You can check which date on either your confirmation email or by logging into your account at service.yell.com.