A website designed specifically for your business should help drive traffic from search engines. You can make sure your website is designed to be accessible and attractive by:
- using a designer who understands how search engines work and what design mistakes to avoid
- providing a clear brief to your designer, giving the business objectives for your site
- keeping the site maintained and updated
But is it the only way to attract more visitors?
Having a custom web design is not the only way of driving traffic to your site. Search engine optimisation (SEO) is a very important way to drive traffic to your website.
If you make sure your site is ‘search engine friendly’, using keywords that are relevant to your business and the site’s objectives, visitors will be able to find you more easily.
You can also use pay per click (PPC) advertising to boost the number of people who see your site.
Other ways to drive traffic include:
- ensuring relevant content is displayed in a clear way (eg your business description, product details, service information and so on) will help search engines find and rank your website
- including a link to your website in your e-mail signature, so your contacts can easily find you
- sharing links with other related websites – although avoid direct competitors
- regularly adding new content that people want to share – such as a blog or news section
- promoting your website on social media networks such as Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn
- signing up to relevant online directories and portals
- participating in relevant online discussion groups and forums – this allows you to show your expertise and get your website known without directly promoting it