We have now learned that Google wants sitemaps for any video content on your website, regardless of whether they are published to your site using a video sharing site, self-hosted, or using a video hosting platform.
The focus in my previous posts has been around YouTube but as with social media there is more than one player and each has it’s own features and benefits. For the SME, my advice is to use as many methods available to post and optimise your content.
For certain keyword searches you may find Google gives preference to one site over another!
Let’s look at Vimeo which is popular with a lot of video content producers – Visit Vimeo.
Reasons to choose Vimeo :
1. Vimeo has a great community, but YouTube is more recognised by the general public.
2. Vimeo has a very simple interface
3. Professionals prefer Vimeo i.e creatives and artists
4. Content can be password protected
5. Vimeo allows videos to be downloaded without any extra software
6. Known for better quality videos compared to YouTube
YouTube is still king with clearly more ‘drive by traffic’ getting you over 95% of your views. Vimeo simply offers another option to aim your video content to a whole new audience.