Video is well and truly the future of digital marketing. As consumers, we’re inherently very visual creatures, so video is naturally appealing to us. As we’ll learn from some of the stats below, video helps consumers retain crucial information, is incredibly shareable, and captures attention and engagement like nothing else.
So whether you’re considering pay-per-click video advertising or simply mulling over the prospect of incorporating video into your content marketing mix, these statistics are essential for any organisation thinking about unleashing their inner Spielberg.
So without further ado, let’s get to the data!
- 83% of marketers say video marketing provides them with a good return on investment – 81% of marketers state that video has helped them generate new leads. (WyzOwl, 2019)
- Video promotion is 600% more effective than text and print media combined. (Diode Digital)
- Viewers retain 95% of a message when they watch it in a video compared to 10% when reading it as text. (Insivia)
- 79% of people say a brand’s video has convinced them to purchase an app or piece of software. (WyzOwl, 2019)
- Video placed on a landing page can increase conversions by 80% or more. (Adelie Studios, 2016)
- 80% of marketers say video has increased the average dwell time on their website. (WyzOwl, 2019)
- 41% of marketers say that video has helped them reduce support calls. (WyzOwl, 2019)
- Social video generates 12 times more shares than text and image content combined. (SimplyMeasured/MBooth)
- 87% of businesses now use video as a marketing tool. Compare this to 2017, when just 63% used video marketing. (WyzOwl, 2019)
- 99% of businesses who use video will continue to do so in 2019, with 88% saying they’ll spend more than they have previously. (WyzOwl, 2019)
- Spend on digital and mobile video has increased by 53% since 2016. (IAB, 2018)
- 53% of consumers engage with a brand after viewing a video on social media. (BrightCove, 2018)
- 74% of marketers who weren’t currently using video marketing said they expect to start doing so in 2019 – a rise from 34% in 2017 and 65% in 2018. (WyzOwl, 2019)
- Video traffic will account for 82% of all web traffic by 2022. (Cisco, 2019)
Trends & Behaviours
- 83% of marketers say that video is increasing in importance as a form of marketing or sales content. (VidYard, 2018)
- 94% of video marketers say that video has helped increase their users’ understanding of their product or service. (WyzOwl, 2019)
- 55% of consumers say they have watched product videos on an e-commerce site’s product page, whereas 60% say they’ve watched product videos on YouTube. (Invodo, 2013)
- 96% of people say they’ve watched an explainer video to learn more about a product or service. (WyzOwl, 2019)
- 55% of people consume video “thoroughly” as opposed to skimming through – more than all other types of content media. (HubSpot, 2016).
- 90% of video marketers feel that the competition and “noise” within video marketing has increased in the past year. (WyzOwl, 2019)
- 56% of viewers say they’re likely to skip online video adverts. (Adroit Digital, 2014)
- Square-shaped videos get 275% more views, 482% more shares, 523% more comments, and 349% more reactions than other aspect ratios on Facebook. (Wochit, 2018)
- 45% of people watch more than an hour of Facebook or YouTube videos a week. (HubSpot, 2016)
- 68% of people say they’d most prefer to learn about new products or services by watching a short video. (WyzOwl, 2019)
- 59% of senior execs say that if both text and video are available on the same subject, they’d prefer to watch the video version. (MWP Digital Media, 2015)
- 54% of people want to see more video content from marketers (Hubspot, 2018)
- 48% of people said they’d be most likely to share video content with their friends, ahead of any other type of content. (WyzOwl, 2019)
- 57% of consumers said that product videos make them more confident in making a purchase and less likely to return an item. (Invodo, 2013)
- Engagement with video starts to drop off after a 2-minute duration. (Wistia, 2016)
- 46% of viewers say that any video ad over 15-seconds is too long. (Adroit Digital, 2014)
According to WyzOwl’s 2019 research, video marketers report growing success with Instagram (non-IGTV) video, LinkedIn video, and Snapchat video. Their findings state:
- 51% of video marketers have used Instagram video, up from 41% in 2018. Out of those, 88% say it was successful for them (up from 87% in 2018)
- 51% of video marketers have used LinkedIn video, a rise from 38% in 2018. Of those, 84% report it as a success – up from 75% in 2018.
- Only 12% of video marketers have used Snapchat video as a marketing channel, up from 11% in 2018. Of those, 50% say it’s been successful – up from 27% in 2018.
Additionally, though only 17% of video marketers have used Instagram TV in their marketing mix, 53% of them say it’s been a success. 30% plan to use it in 2019. (WyzOwl, 2019)
Only 41% of video marketers have used webinars. Though 83% say webinars have been successful for them, this is a slight decrease from an 87% reported success rate in 2018. (WyzOwl, 2019)Interested in #videomarketing? Check out these 35 essential video statistics... Click To Tweet
As you can see, video really is a truly engaging and attention-grabbing medium, and a powerful marketing tool for your business. It’s an ideal way to get your audience talking about you, but if you aren’t sure where or how to start – help is at hand. Yell provides a range of professional video production services for you to choose from, dependent on your needs and budget. For more information, visit our Video Marketing page, or call to speak with one of our digital experts on 0800 777 445.
WyzOwl’s Video Marketing Statistics 2019
IAB 2018 Video Ad Spend Study, 2018
New Research from Brightcove Finds Video Content Impacts Product and Service Purchases, Particularly by Millennial Consumers, 2018
Cisco Visual Networking Index: Forecast and Trends, 2017–2022 White Paper, 2019
Looking at the Facts-Why Video Content Has the Highest Retention Rate, PopVideo 2016
Adelie Studios’ The Top 16 Video Marketing Statistics for 2016 (statistic credited to Visually)
“Storytelling, One Frame at a Time” Infographic, MBooth/SimplyMeasured Infographic
VidYard’s The State of Video Marketing in 2018: Demand Metric Report
57% Of Consumers Rely On Product Videos, Invodo 2013
The Future of Content Marketing: How People Are Changing the Way They Read, Interact, and Engage With Content, Hubspot Research 2016-2018
Study: 56% Of Viewers Skip Online Video Ads & 46% Say Any Ad Over 15-Seconds Is Too Long, Adroit Digital 2014
Facebook Video Performance Index 2017: Trends, Stats and Takeaways, Wochit
10 statistics that show video is the future of marketing, MWP Digital Media 2015
16 Video Marketing Statistics to Inform Your 2019 Strategy [Infographic], Vidyard/Hubspot
How Long Should Your Next Video Be?, Wistia 2016